Monday, April 23, 2012

CRAFT WEEK (Day 2): "Color Lovers"

This blog post is part of the 3rd
KNITTING AND CROCHET BLOG WEEK
3KCBWDAY1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite colors are jewel tones...royal blue, deep purple, deep rose, etc. Or more specific, emerald green, amethyst purple, sapphire blue, ruby red, etc.
Courtesy of  DIZANNE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of Jewel tones...here's a little diversion from yarns & crafting....



By 999 Diet  |   Published: June 24, 2011
Prep time: 10 min   |    |   Total time: 10 min .
Yield: Serves 6  |   Serving size: 1/2 cup  |   Calories per serving: 231  |   Fat per serving: 21 grams.

This salad is both sweet and tart, and crunchy thanks to the addition of the heart healthy walnuts. It’s loaded with fiber and antioxidants and delicious as well. A salad like this can help you keep control of your sweet tooth, thus promoting weight loss by avoiding processed sugary treats. This would go well with an orange juice, as not only the flavor would be complimented, but the color as well.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 juice from a lemon
2 tsp Whole grain mustard
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted

Directions:
In a blender or food processor, blend the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice and mustard. Fold in the carrots, cranberries and walnuts. Serve chilled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I like staring off with a rich jewel color, turning into tonals and subtle changes. BERROCO ULTRA ALPACA TONAL is a great example below.
 

 

I also like combo colors that blend well as Red, orange, rust in this "Howl" project. "Howl" is a Hat and Cowl combo. I used 3 strands of yarn in red, orange & rust.
(Ravelers, here's the pattern link)

LION BRAND HOMESPUN yarn has the quality of color I love. Different colors that I would not think would go together, but they do & also tonals.

I love gradient color also. That is when you start with a rich color and it fades and fades and pales, to a pastel or even white/cream color.

Here's a link to a YOU TUBE TUTORIAL about how to dye yarn in a gradient colorway on the stove with food colors & vinegar.

Odd that I like rich colors, but I'm knitting a black sweater right now. But if you look at my STASH ON RAVELRY, you'll see that I do stick true to what I said above.  I wrote this post before looking at my stash. I think that's pretty cool, that I knew myself so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels