Monday, July 15, 2013

Divorce Court

July 9-17, 2013 Point Hudson RV Park, Port Townsend, WA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV LIFE:
The RV life continues to be a great life. We have had absolutely perfect weather for the past 3 weeks or more. Now that we are in Northern Washington, we are being tricked into thinking this is the norm. We've had perfect weather, except one evening we had high winds. Other than that it's been 55-60° overnight and all over the 70's during the day. With the breeze off the water cooling the temperature. There have been times I've sat outside in the sun with a blanket on. I took a two hour nap outside yesterday. I have learned to embrace my wonderful life of relaxation!
I believe we are looking out to the Puget Sound and on to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This is much prettier than looking over the empty vastness of the Ocean. What I see is an Island across the way with huge snow capped mountains. Lots of sailboats on the water as well as cruise ships and the ferry.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SIGHTS:
Port Townsend is a quaint little town with a variety of things to do in a 1 mile radius. There are coffee shops all over the town and hidden along side streets. I don't know how they can make a profit with there being so many in such a small area.
There are plenty of restaurants and yes, all within an easy walk. I checked out Yelp for reviews and no restaurants had bad reviews. Most were excellent and others were average to above average. Very rare to have such a wealth of good restaurants so close.
There are also 2 yarn shops in town, about 3 bakeries, plus upscale thrift shops, art shops, a spice shop. I really enjoy walking through town.
The marina is right next to us and you can go on a 1/2 day or all day sail, rent a kayak, go whale watching or just watch the variety of boats come and go.

Port Townsend Farmer's Market is held on Wednesdays and Saturdays in "Uptown" Port Townsend. Uptown does not mean the Northern part of town, but literally, the higher elevation part of town.
Wednesday's market is very small but also less crowded and still had the essentials for me. There was home made cheese, 2 bakeries, 2 produce stands, a just a couple of crafters. The Saturday Market was twice the size and more crowded. As most things in Port Townsend, this was within walking distance, but uphill!
Looking from uptown to downtown
The architecture is really interesting also. Lots of old brick buildings. Many of the stores have kept the exposed brick walls.












It's been a joy walking along the shoreline, walking through the neighborhoods with all the beautiful flowers gardens in bloom and walking through town with all the little touches that give Port Townsend the small town feel.

A beautiful quilt just hanging in between a couple of stores.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PETS:
Anyone following my blog knows that I am a domestic animal lover. I fostered Setters when we lived in NJ. I would never tell Scott when I was getting a foster dog. He did not enjoy the extra work and disruption of his schedule that a foster dog entails. So, if I don't tell him, he can't say no. Once the dog is here, Scott may show his displeasure, but soon warms up to the dog. I know how far I can push my husband and keep the peace and avoid divorce court. Then when our home was filled with 4 dogs,because he decided to adopt one of our Irish Setter fosters and I adopted a senior diabetic English Setter,  I started to foster guinea pigs. Earlier this year while in TX, I picked up a stray little 15# Rat Terrier type dog without asking hubby. We were packing up to leave and Scott said, what are you doing with him. I said, "Taking him with us!", not "Taking him with us?" That was a close call. It's very different in an RV. It's difficult to separate the animals and people if needed. But I had a good feeling. I neutered the little guy...Renny, the terrier mix, not Scott! And we found a great home for him in WY. All is good. When I got my first and only tattoo, I didn't tell or ask Scott. I just did it and faced the consequences later. Luckily, Scott liked it.

Again, if I don't ask, he can't say no. We are almost 19 years married, so I guess I know how far the limit is.
Then the pet sitting gig comes along. Ask Scott? Nooooo! Tell Scott? Noooooo!
Through the blogging grapevine I was able to help out a family that needed a pet sitter for their rats. Yes, rats! Rats are really great pets for kids and adults. I feel they are much better than gerbils and hamsters. My little experience with gerbils and hamsters is that they bite. Ouch! I've never had a pet rat bite me. My buddy, Cagney (as in James Cagney, "You dirty rat") used to squeak and hang on the end of his cage to be near me while I exercised on the stepper. I had to let him out and put him on my shoulder to keep him content.
I was given another rat as a birthday present from my niece after my first rat died. Both rats died at around age 2 1/2. I was heartbroken, just as I would be for a dog. No more pet rats for me. I just can't go through the heartache every 2-3 years.
Enter pet rat sitting! What will Scott say? Doesn't matter. It's a done deal. I have made the commitment and once they are here, what can Scott do?
I met the Boyinks while we were at Diamond Lake, OR. Somehow we got on the subject of pets and my pet rats were mentioned. The day we left Diamond Lake, the Keiter's arrived to meet up with the Boyinks. The Keiter's mentioned how they wanted to go to Canada, but don't think they'll be able to because rats can't go into one of the cities in Canada they want to go to. Hmmm, Boyink's mention Buskirk's and through email, we make the secret plans to transfer Chino & Patches to us.
The day after the Keiter's arrived at the same RV park as we are in (Pt. Hudson), they stop over, oh, just to talk...no mention of rats. Scott enjoys the conversation and likes them. That's good. Ten minutes later, the whole family arrives carrying a cage and paper bags. Huh? Well "honeeeeeeey", I said we would pet sit their rats so they can go into Canada. It's ONLY for 6 wks. He can't get mad at me in front of them.
The ratkins are settled in our RV and I'm outside trying to relax, but wondering what Scott is thinking. He comes over to me and says, "I would have said yes". Oh my gosh! He is such a sweetheart! All is well. This was meant to be. Not only are we in the same RV park at the same time to transfer the ratkins to us, but we'll also be in the Yellowstone area in the same time frame to transfer them back.
Scott was very understanding. We are sort of in the same predicament about Canada as the Keiter's. We have an African Grey Parrot that plucks itself bald. Even if we got a health certificate for her, she looks sick and we don't know if they'd allow her in. So unless we can find someone to watch her for a couple of months, we won't be going to Canada and Alaska anytime soon.
So divorce court has been avoided once again. My hubby is the best. You can read the Keiter's version of this story in their post here.
Devin is handling the new critters quite well. Much better than I thought.
And let me introduce you to Chino & Patches.
Chino on left, Patches on right. Awwwww!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AUDIO BOOK REVIEW:
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Somewhat depressing, but in the end some realizations.
Set a goal and trudge on for the reward at the end.
Don't let your relationships just go on without keeping it alive. One day you wake up and feel like strangers.
When you set the goal, remember it's your goal and not to be "shared" with others unless that was your original plan.
I think the book could have been much shorter, but overall, I liked the characters and how their lives were changed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHERE WE'RE GOING:

July 18-20, 2013 Elwha Dam RV Park, Port Angeles, WA
July 21-27, 2013 Cape Motel & RV Park, Neah Bay, WA
July 28-Aug. 3, 2013 Riverview RV Park, Forks, WA
Aug. 4-10, 2013 Silver Cove RV Resort, Silver Lake, WA
Aug. 12-18, 2013 Coeur d'Alene RV Park, Post Falls, ID
Aug. 19-28, 2013 Jim & Mary's RV Park, Missoula, MT
Aug. 29-Sept. 2, 2013 Jennifer's Driveway Boondock, Bozeman, MT
Sept. 3-9, 2013 Mammoth Campground, Yellowstone, WY
Tentative
Sept. 10-16, 2013 Pete D's RV Park, Sheridan, WY (Tentative)
Sept. 19-Oct 2, 2013 Custer, SD

south for the Winter of 2013/214

1 comment:

  1. Bummer, we will just miss you in WA! We arrive August 13!

    I think rats are cute. I really hate it when I catch one in a trap, but wild rats belong in the wild, not trying to get into my attic or a bay of our RV. I always hope their demise is quick.

    My son had mice as pets.

    ReplyDelete

Our Travels