Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Hike to nowhere

July 21-27, 2013 Cape Motel & RV Park, Neah Bay, WA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV LIFE:
Referencing back to Elwha Dam in Port Angeles, we took a really nice & fairly easy hike to see nothing. Well, that is to say, we saw where the Elwha Dam USED to be.


The Elwha Dam was torn down because part of the agreement when it was built was that an alternate route would be established for the Salmon that travel along the river. They never followed through, so "off with their heads!", I'm mean down with the dam!

Along the way we found this odd looking thing. I'm thinking it it would make a nice fountain or planter! Do you know what it is?
An old ceramic conductor? capacitor? insualtor?
These were the things on top of the electrical posts with all the wires coming out of them. Some still exist. Lyla kept getting in the way of the shot, so I had to take a few photos while Scott was losing not only his strength, but patience. This thing weighed about 50 pounds and was awkward to hold up. 
Scott was rewarded for his patience by finding a mini geocache.
Adding his name to the found list.
Poor Lyla is getting old. Our baby is 9 yrs old. She's got a weak back leg that slightly drags. She just plopped down during our hike for a needed rest. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PETS:
Poor Devin, something has him spooked outside. He usually gets me up in the morning anywhere between 6-7am. I tie him out, he does his business and then will sit in a bubble chair for at least an hour, just watching the world go by. He has his quiet time and I have mind inside with a cup of coffee and a book.
Since arriving at Neah Bay, he does not want to be outside alone. All we can think of is there are barking dogs beyond the woods and there are a couple of Labs that roam the campground off leash. They seem to be afraid of other dogs and wary of people. They will warm up to people, but not if I have the dogs with me.
So, because he hasn't been getting me up to go out, I've been sleeping until between 8-9:30am! I hate that! What a waste. I love getting up early in the morning for my own private quiet time.
Since Devin isn't using his brain outside, he decided to do some rearranging inside.
Before: All toys piled in his "toy box".
After: Of course the toy he wanted was at the bottom!
We had severely downsized our dog toy collection when we purged things from our house. We had 3 baskets of toys in different areas of the house. it sure is easy to accumulate too many toys again. Squeaky toys and good dog biscuits are my weakness. It's now getting to the point that I'll have to go by the rule, "an item in, an item out" for dog toys also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BOOK REVIEW:
An Irish Country VillageAn Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a sweet easy read. It's difficult to believe that this is taking place in fairly modern times. I have never experienced a doctor making a house call in my 56 years.
A country Dr. and his up and coming 2nd Dr. straight out of medical school.
Just think of Mayberry in Ireland.  The Senior Dr. is like Andy. He fixes situations & keeps the peace, even if it may be in a round about or unconventional way.
We get to know the people of Ballybucklebo. I can't help but smile every time I read that name. We meet the down & outs, the greedy upper class, the kind upper class, the hard working shop girl, etc. We meet patients with serious illnesses and easier cured illnesses. We go along on the house calls and root for the young Dr. to make the correct diagnosis.
Nothing exciting about this book, but an enjoyable vacation from murder mysteries, love stories, and horror.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AUDIO BOOK REVIEW:
Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9)Lost Light by Michael Connelly
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Listened to this years ago, 2005. Narrator Len Cariou did a great job. I think I'm just tired of the harry Bosch character.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MOVIE REVIEW:
Dark Shadows, 2012
Director: Tim Burton
Starring: Johnny Depp & Michelle Pfeiffer
My rating 3 out of 5
If you really like Tim Burton/Johnny Depp movies then it's worth watching. But this one is definitely not one of their better productions.
Since I was a huge fan of Dark Shadows, the TV soap opera in the late 1960's, this barely follows that storyline. The names of the characters are much the same, but that is about the only similarity.
It was still fun to have all those 4pm Dark Shadows shows brought back to the front of my memories. Oh the beautiful witch, Angelique.
1960's
2012
They did not include Quentin Collins in the 2012 version. Oh the crush I had on Quentin and his long, dark sideburns.

 And of course, Barnabas, the main vampire character.
1960's

2012

I would have much preferred they follow the original story more and be a little more creepy instead of "campy"/funny.
Take care, 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHERE WE'RE GOING:
July 28-Aug. 3, 2013 Riverview RV Park, Forks, WA
Aug. 4-10, 2013 Silver Cove RV Resort, Silver Lake, WA
Aug. 12-18, 2013 Coeur d'Alene RV Park, Post Falls, ID
Aug. 19-28, 2013 Jim & Mary's RV Park, Missoula, MT
Aug. 29-Sept. 1, 2013 Jennifer's Driveway Boondock, Bozeman, MT
Sept. 2-5, 2013 Mammoth Campground, Yellowstone, WY (Tentative)
Sept. 6-15, 2013 Horseshoe Bend Campground NFS, Lovell, WY (Tentative)
Sept. 16-30, 2013 Wheels West RV Park, Custer, SD

south for the Winter of 2013/214

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels