Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Peace

June 25- July 8, 2013 River's End RV Park, Chinook,WA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RV LIFE:
Perfect weather
Green grass
Quiet campground
Good book
Beautiful yarn for new project
Calm dogs
Good cup of coffee and a cookie.
PEACE!
I am having a blast here. Even though we had two rigs park next to us and block our view, this is still a lovely place to stay. The sites are set at angles, so even though they may be close, they don't feel it. Most of the time, we have not had neighbors.

A motorhome from Massachusetts pulled in near us. I was sitting outside reading. They no sooner parked and a little boy comes out and walks right up to Devin to say hello. Poor Devin is afraid of kids. His name is Isaiah  and he's about 8 years old. Anyone who knows me, know I do not generally like kids. We go to parks that don't have swimming pools etc because the less the park offers for entertainment, the less likely families will camp there. I gave Isaiah some treats to give to Devin, hoping to help condition Devin to associate good treats with children. Devin would take the treats then run away.
Isaiah then proceeded to show me his campfire lighting kit in a leather pouch. He was trying to make a spark with a piece of metal and a rock. I told him he should try a magnifying glass and a leaf. His eyes grew wide and you could see the "lightbulb" go off in his head. He knew about magnifying glass and and the sun, so was fascinated by my suggestion. I would have NEVER suggested it, if he didn't seem responsible enough. This was a very smart 8 year old. I liked him. Sometimes a kids will just hit the small soft spot in my heart. He then proceeded to show me his feather topped fountain pen. He tore off this itty bitty piece of scrap paper (about the size of a dime) and gave it to me to try to write with the pen. I oohed and ahhed and said "cool". He was very happy to impress me. Sweet boy. It was a pleasure to meet him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SIGHTS:
Ilwaco Farmer's Market, Port of Ilwaco, WA
Saturdays May-Oct 10am - 4pm
Dogs allowed!

Nice little market. Not really a farmer's market. It is more of a craft market. There are many local artisans that create beautiful works of art.
I picked up a beautiful wire wrapped double
hummingbird feeder.










From the same vendor, Crack Pots, I picked up a painted stone pendant. It was a little pricey to me, but I was in "vacation mode", which is not a good thing when you are full time RV'rs.

There were so many things I wanted to buy! There were oil lamps made from sliced onyx . If I didn't have a tub full of candles, I would have picked this up. But the RV disciplinarian in me prevailed. Candles are used up and then that space is free. These stone candles would have to be stored safely for travel and would always take up space.  This is one of my incentives to continue to live in an RV. I won't be picking up "stuff". Even though this "stuff" may be beautiful and unique, I take a picture...it'll last longer and take up no space except on my computer hard drive. I know as soon as we settle into a house, we'll start to accumulate. I REALLY do NOT want that to happen, but I know it will, IF we settle.
There was a food truck selling delicious salmon chowder. Yum!
A few crocheters selling their finished projects. There were Jams, honey, scroll & turned wood work for purchase. There are canneries all over this area to purchase fresh, smoked and canned seafood.
We were entertained by some local yokels, a couple of mermaids.
 

There happened to be a couple of "exact" reproductions of two tall ships moored at the Port of Ilwaco for 4 days. We saw the Lady Washington happened to be moored at the Port of Ilwaco for 4 days. She is an "exact" reproduction of the Lady Washington that sailed in 1787 from Boston, down around Cape Horn and up to Vancouver.
We could go aboard for a $3.00 donation, which I did, but really not much to see. A lot of ropes to hoist the sails.
There were day cruises offered also. I asked a volunteer how many sleep on the ship. I was told anywhere from 12-18 people. If I was younger and without a hubby and pets, this would be a very cool experience. Except for the fact that I get seasick! For $500.00 you train for two weeks, on how to live and work on the ship. Then you go out on tour with the ship. The volunteer called it a free vacation. Once you pay the initial $500.00 and pass the course, you are welcome to join any of their excursions if there is room. She said it has been a wonderful experience. Interested?  Here's the info.

The Port of Ilwaco is not only a marina for pleasure boats, but it is also for working fisherman. I found this sign interesting and sad. I believe a fisherman's life is difficult.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CRAFTS:
I'm STILL trying to use up the red acrylic yarn, plus I still have fun fur yarns from when I was making dog sweaters. So as an easy travel craft, I just made some simple single crochet decorative dog collars. I used 1 strand of the red acrylic and 1 strand of fun fur and single crocheted around elastic.
I gave a couple away at the Doggie Olympic Games.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BOOK REVIEW:
Veil of NightVeil of Night by Linda Howard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A light reading murder "mystery". I really enjoyed the book, but must admit for anyone that is looking for a good murder mystery...don't bother with this one. I figured out who the killer was quite soon. In spite of that, I enjoyed the characters and got very frustrated at the bridezilla who is a spoiled BRAT. Love the wedding planner theme. Even though I did not have an elaborate wedding, I enjoy reading about other's wedding plans.
The love interest is your typical MAN, meaning big, hunky, strong, protective.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHERE WE'RE GOING:

July 9-17, 2013 Port. Hudson RV Park, Port Townsend, WA
July 18-20, 2013 Elwha Dam RV Park, Port Angeles, WA
Tentative:
Neah Bay, WA
La Push, WA
Coeur d'Alene, ID

ID, MT, ND, SD, WY, then south for the Winter of 2013/214


No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Travels