Sunday, November 11, 2012

Snug as a bug



Rutherfordton, NC 28139

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read on for explanation

RV LIFE:I love the changing of the seasons. We've been having some beautiful fall weather. Temps going down in the 30's overnight and slowly rising to 55-70° during the day. Our 5th wheel has stayed nice & cozy.
We only use the RV propane heater to warm it up in the morning. After that we use an electric heater in the main living area and one in the bedroom. Toasty!
Now that we have the time change, it's getting dark early. Which causes me to head to bed early. I love our bedroom in the RV. We have a king size bed and a 3" of memory foam on top of the RV mattress. This makes for a very comfy bed.

The Kingdom continues to be a great place to work and a great place to RV. Devin will miss his favorite playmate, Doris.
There was another pot luck dinner tonight. Since the weather has cooled down, I thought a nice hot, creamy soup would be nice. I do not cook often, but I made It's More Than Creamy Vegetable Soup for the pot luck dinner. Recipe to follow. My Dad made this for us years ago and we all think it's delicious. Below is one of my excuses why I don't cook often.
Yes, I'm quite miserable! Those are onions I just chopped. I'm very sensitive to them. I usually have to leave the RV when Scott chops onions. So the photo at the top of the post is the bread after I stuck it in my mouth while chopping the onions. I read on the internet that this works to prevent tears from onions.  It didn't! Gee, I thought everything you read on the internet was true???
I found the most consistent solution to prevent tears caused by onion is to light a candle and keep it near where you are chopping. Supposedly the candle attracts the gases released by the onions.  It seems to help, but doesn't prevent the tears completely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will be well remembered here at Four Paws as "The woman who kept losing things". I misplace so many items!!! How can they get lost in a 300 sq. ft. RV?? Well, some of the things I've misplaced have been somewhere on the campground property.

I've lost keys for over a week. They ended up in Scott's pocket for "safe keeping" because I had no pockets in my pants.
I've cleaned the wrong cabin because I forgot what they told me. I HAVE to write down my daily work assignments, as they change day to day. If I don't write it down, I have to trek back to the office and sheepishly ask what I'm supposed to do again.
I've misplaced my work tote that carries garbage bags, rubber gloves, my notebook & pen to write down my assignments, and my I-Pod to listen to audio books while working. This was missing for about a week also. I checked the cabin I thought I left it in, no luck. I rearranged the RV basement in hopes it was pushed behind something, no luck. I sifted through my piles & bags of yarn, hoping my tote was hiding amid my projects, no luck. Finally, Scott brings me my I-Pod, which means he found my tote. It was in an upper cabinet on top of our electric skillet. How did it get there? Who knows. I rarely use that skillet. But at least it was found.
And yesterday, I lost the campground walkie talkie while walking Devin through the woods. Oh my gosh! How will I find it with all the fallen leaves on the trail? I retraced my tracks going very slowly and sweeping the path back and forth as if looking for a pile of poop in the dog park. No luck. Now I have to let my co-workers and hubby know I've lost ANOTHER item! I ended up taking a 2nd walkie talkie and pushing the call button hoping I'd hear it on the lost walkie talkie. Sure enough about 1/2 way up the hike, I heard that glorious squawk/squelch sound. There is was on the side of the trail. No wonder I didn't see it. I don't even remember walking along that side.
I must take after my Father. I remember as a teenager, my Father misplaced his wallet. Where did we find it? In the refrigerator of course. Like Father, Like Daughter. Love you Dad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RECIPE:
It's more than...

Ingredients:
1 large onion, chopped
¼ cup butter
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
3 medium zucchini, peeled & chopped
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
2 quarts chicken broth
2 medium potatoes, peeled & shredded
1 tsp. celery seed
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 cups light cream or ½ & ½

Instructions:
1. In large kettle, saute onions in butter until transparent, but not browned.
2. Add sweet potatoes, zucchini and broccoli. Saute lightly for 10 minutes or until crisp/tender.
3. Stir in broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Pour ⅓ of mixture into blender and puree. Return to pot.
5. Add shredded potatoes and seasonings. Simmer 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
6. Add cream and heat through.

Makes 12-16 servings / 4 quarts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CRAFTS:
I had been crocheting some dog sweaters for the store at Four Paws Kingdom. I've also crocheted a sweater for Doris, who is a seasonal camper and Devin's playmate.
Doris
















And then I crocheted a sweater for our next door neighbor, Tucker.
Tucker


I'm now using up my bits of acrylic yarn to make 6" x 9" rectangles for HAP, which stands for Homemade Afghans Project. This charity collects knitted or crocheted rectangles and then put them together to make afghans. These afghans are then sent to Veterans Hospitals throughout the USA. Specifically, these are for our wounded soldiers. We hope that a handmade afghan will not only make them more comfortable physically, but also mentally, by knowing people are thinking of them and praying for them, as they create these rectangles and afghans. We hope they realize that we make these to THANK them for their service to our country. This charity has just sent out their 9000th afghan!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PRODUCT REVIEW: 
Our rating 1 out of 5
Bow Wow Popcorn Dog TreatThis is microwave popcorn flavored for dogs. We received the chicken flavor when we were trick or treating with our dogs. The novelty is cute and I think it makes a great novelty gift or party favor for doggie birthday parties. I would not purchase this for my dogs though. 
This pops up just like a single serve microwave popcorn packet for humans. The difference is that there is supposedly flavoring added for dogs. Flavors such as roasted chicken or roast beef.
So with my 2 dogs gathered around me salivating, they shared their popcorn with me. Yes, I tried it. I never tasted any kind of meat flavoring at all.  It just tasted like plain unsalted popcorn, all the way to the bottom of the bag. And yes, I did shake as instructed to distribute the flavor. 
So, save your money and just throw some popcorn kernels in a brown lunch bag or bowl with a steam cover and nuke in the microwave. There you have it...easy, inexpensive microwave popcorn. Yes, this does work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WINE REVIEW:
The Velvet Devil 91% Merlot and 9% Cabernet Sauvignon  (Washington) $14.99
My rating 4 out of 5.

I bought this because of the label. It was a conversation opener at dinner.
Bold taste. Tart after taste which I liked. Is that the tannin's?
I would purchase again if it was under $10.00. There are plenty of wines I like just as much or more that are less money.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Villages, 2010 (French) $10. - $12.
My rating 5 out of 5

Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Villages, Beaujolais, France
Mild smooth. Still has the rich taste of a dark red, but very easy going down with no aftertaste.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Duplin Burgundy (North Carolina) Under $10.
My rating 3.5 out of 5
uploads//images/largeZoom/DW-DV105B-April2012-Burgundy.jpgMuscadine wine, makes for a soft, light and fruity flavor. I am more of a dark, tangy red wine drinker. This wine would taste fine room temperature or chilled. Because it is a light fruity flavor, it makes a refreshing wine chilled on a hot day.
If I liked fruity wines, I'd rate it higher.

3 comments:

  1. That bread pic...cracked me up! Thanks for the wine pairings...I'll keep a lookout! Doggie sweaters...sweet! My friend has made hats for cancer children...and they are so thankful! Lately she is making boobies for women with cancer...they are adorable. Glad your staying cozy warm ... just remember to keep a notebook by your side :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you realize, I've lost my notebook also!

      Delete
  2. Love reading your blog,,don't ever change!

    ReplyDelete

Our Travels